Suggestion: Phase 4.
Greetings! I'm a newcomer to the community. I'm a civcraft "veteran", in the sense that I played two phases, 3 and 4 respectively, and then another one on the Obelisk server, before that too got shut down.

So when I went googling for a new civcraft server, it was with a sense of extreme nostalgia.
And then, lo and behold, I found minetexas! I log on, and immediately start chatting, because hey, it was 5 AM, and I had nothing better to do. Turns out that everyone is super polite and friendly. I end up asking about the phase. Phase 8. Aaaand the nostalgia goes down the drain.

My suggestion is a simple one: Implementation of phase 4, instead of the later iterations.

I don't usually do forumposts, so excuse my lack of formatting skills, and inability to be concise.
English is also not my native tongue, so please excuse the lack of punctuation and proper spelling.

Idea    The custom armour doesn't promote war, or proper PvP. Once a civ is a tier ahead of an opposing civ, they are more or less guaranteed to win a war. While the older, and simpler tiers of Leather->Iron->Diamond could potentially have the same issues, fighting off a civ of guys in iron, while being in leather, is not entirely unrealistic.

Idea    The custom items require custom materials from custom mobs. All these extra items and mobs serve no purpose, but to increase grinding time, difference between newer and older players, and to make it harder to add to, tweak and/or change the code to your liking.

Idea    Running phase 4 would allow you to spend less time fixing bugs, and more time adding your own features to the gamemode. You've already added a set of rather beautiful templates and a wonder. Why not add a few new buildings? Maybe extend the super-late game? Add victory conditions? Warcamps?

Idea    Running phase 4 would cut a lot of unnecessary mechanics out, while allowing you to add more to the gamemode.
The fact that a slightly simpler version of the gamemode, like phase 4, would be better for new people, seeing as they won't have to learn an entirely new crafting system, seems rather obvious to me; and judging by your ability to create and run a community, it's rather obvious to you too.

- Patrick
Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working on the Civcraft update for Minecraft 1.8. Part of the issues we are having are with the custom items and mobs. This makes it sound like it might be more beneficial to leave these things out rather than fix them?

This looks great on paper, I'll have to see what I can do to resolve this.

As far as formatting, you did better than most.
(02-13-2015, 05:54 PM)ataranlen Wrote: Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working on the Civcraft update for Minecraft 1.8. Part of the issues we are having are with the custom items and mobs. This makes it sound like it might be more beneficial to leave these things out rather than fix them?

This looks great on paper, I'll have to see what I can do to resolve this.

As far as formatting, you did better than most.

Thank you very much.

Of course, resetting the server right now, might piss some people off, but should you decide to do follow through with it, even in spite of the progress of existing civs, simply giving them a free capital to start them off, might be a solution.

Once again, thank you for listening, and good luck!
Oh we would wait until the next age to switch to 1.8, for sure!
Patrick explained the possible advantages to me if running this phase 4 and although I might be a #noob to the gamemode this sounds like a brilliant thing to do for the growth of the server! +1

ALSO, I really wouldn't mind resetting we haven't gotten very far.
[Image: LzwHy0X.gif]
Well, we had a reset recently due to the name change bugs. I'd hate to have to reset again so soon.

But on the other hand, having civcraft working for 1.8 would be a pretty decent reason to switch.

So as an update on this suggestion, the 1.8 branch no longer uses custom mobs, and I have replaced the un-craftable items with what I think are reasonable recipes.

Perhaps I'll bring Infernal Mobs to this server Tongue

Anyways, I plan to add something new to help replace the custom mobs, and my idea is a "Mob Grinder" structure. One thought is for it to take mob eggs (craftable) and it works kinda like a scratch card, put it in the "Mob Grinder" and you have a chance to get more valuable stuff than what you put in.
I dunno, I think we should wait until its over.
Infer... Infernal... INFERNAL OBS???!?!?!?! GG. xD
[Image: LzwHy0X.gif]